Advocacy Planning Grant
Advocacy Planning Grants provide funds for nonprofits to improve their organizations before beginning advocacy work.
Advocacy Planning Grants can be used for strategic planning and will prepare a nonprofit to apply for a future Multi-Year Grant. These grants are $15,000 or less. All applicants are required to attend an Introduction to The Trust’s Grant Application Process Workshop. Advocacy Planning Grant applicants are also required to attend an Advocacy Workshop before applying.
We are currently accepting applications for these grants.
1. Required Forms
Please download the budget form to submit with your Advocacy Planning Grant application. The remaining forms will be submitted with the progress and final reports.
2. Application Details
Once approved by Meredith (but before completing the application), please complete the Bolder Advocacy Capacity Tool. This tool has been updated so please use this link.
The application times out every 15 minutes, so we recommend that you cut, paste, answer, and save the following questions in a Word document. After you have answered all the questions, please paste your final version into the online grant application.
- Enter the contact information for your organization, including name, mailing address, phone, and fax (optional), as well as a 100-word description of your organization and its mission.
- Enter the Annual Budget for your organization.
- Has your organization had a financial audit conducted by an outside auditor for a time period within the previous 18 months?
- Enter the name of primary contact for this request.
- Enter the name of your organization’s Executive Director/President or CEO.
- Enter the name of the organization’s Board Chair.
Agency’s Advocacy Experience and Goals
- Select the geographic area and population served/represented.
- Describe your organization’s advocacy experience and how this work was accomplished. This may include previous work in public policy, advocacy to shape or improve programs, or institutional systems change advocacy – all of which go beyond individual advocacy services for your direct clients. Please share your most recent accomplishments and lessons learned. If you do not have previous advocacy experience, why do you want to pursue systems change advocacy? (300-word limit)
- Describe the community or constituency that your organization advocates for and illustrate your experience in reaching, engaging, and serving this population. Please describe how they are/will be involved in setting or executing the organization’s strategy. What niche do you fill that is different from other associations or agencies serving the same population? (200-word limit)
- How has your organization previously worked with coalition partners to advocate for policy or institutional changes? Please describe the partnership(s) and the role(s) played by your organization. (200-word limit)
- Please complete this sentence: “Through systems change advocacy, our organization seeks to improve health for Tennesseans by… (100-word limit)
- Please describe specific policy or systems issues related to health care access and/or preventing childhood trauma that your organization wants to address through systems change advocacy. What challenges or opportunities do you see in the next three years and how is your organization well-positioned to address them? (300-word limit)
- Using your results from the Advocacy Capacity Tool, please select all the applicable skills or capacities your organization currently has that position you well to pursue these goals.
- Using your results from the Advocacy Capacity Tool, please select the skills or capacities your organization will prioritize to develop in the next three years in order to achieve your systems change advocacy goals. Please be sure to select at least one from each of the four main domain areas.
- CNM Consultant Scope of Work/Draft Contract
- Summary results from Bolder Advocacy’s online Advocacy Capacity Tool. This free tool can be found at this link.
Ready To Start?
Applicants must also meet our general eligibility criteria. You will need your agency’s Tax ID number to begin the application. Please remember to update and save after modifying any of the fields. We also suggest that you save your text in a Microsoft Word document as a backup.
Begin your application or return to a saved application below.